The NLMA, the Department of Health and Community Services and the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information (NLCHI) are working together to deliver an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) Program for physicians in Newfoundland and Labrador. The EMR Program is known as eDOCSNL.
The program is accepting expressions of interest from fee-for-service physicians interested in incorporating the new EMR program in their practice. eDOCSNL will work with your clinic to complete a readiness assessment, identify priorities and assist with the transition.
The first step in joining the program is filling out an Expression of Interest form available at https://edocsnl.ca/join-edocsnl/
- Med Access EMR by TELUS Health Provider Solutions was selected as the preferred product.
- NLMA signed an agreement with Government on the governance and cost-sharing of the EMR program.
- Physicians will pay 30% of the EMR program costs and Government will pay 70%.
- An EMR Management Committee has been struck with three members from NLMA (50% of the Committee).
- The Data Governance Advisory Committee is a sub-committee of the Management Committee with a mandate to advise the Management Committee on the collection, use and disclosure of EMR data by third parties for secondary uses. Physicians make up 50% of this Committee.
- The EMR Clinical Advisory Committee advises the Management Committee on matters related to the continuous improvement of the use of Med Access.
- EMR adoption and participation in the eDOCSNL Program is voluntary.
- Physicians will be responsible for providing their own hardware (e.g. computers or tablets, printers, scanners, etc.), as well as their Internet connection.
- eDOCSNL began the installation of Med Access in physicians’ offices in early 2017.
- If you have questions your are invited to contact Lucy McDonald, NLMA Senior Advisor, Health Information, at [email protected].
- To learn more about the eDOCSNL EMR program please visit https://edocsnl.ca/
Memorandum of Understanding
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Program Memorandum of Understanding (PDF) between the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Health Information.
- EMR Physician Participation Agreement (PDF)
- President’s letter: New Physician Participation Agreement grants EMR users access to EHR data summarizing the agreement.
EMR vs EHR and other Provincial eHealth Systems