All family physicians in the province are invited to participate in the Newfoundland and Labrador BASE (Building Access to Specialists through eConsultation) eConsult demonstration project.
eConsult is a secure, web-based tool that allows family physicians to submit non-urgent, patient-specific questions to a participating specialty. Relevant diagnostic testing, images, photos, letters or any other documentation to help inform the consult process may be included. The request is processed and assigned to an appropriate specialist, who is asked to respond within seven days.
The Newfoundland and Labrador BASE eConsult project has been developed using the Champlain BASE eConsult service as a model. This service was first implemented in the Champlain region of Ontario by family physician/researcher Dr. Clare Liddy and endocrinologist Dr. Erin Keely in collaboration with the Champlain Local Health Integration Network and Bruyère Continuing Care.
- Direct access to a specialist: Get the answers you need for your patients while avoiding time-consuming calls to connect with a specialist.
- Avoid unnecessary referrals: Receive specialist advice while allowing patients to avoid being added to a waitlist and reduce the burden of having to travel to see a specialist.
- Enhanced service experience: A timely answer to a clinical question can improve patient confidence and reinforce the doctor-patient relationship.
- Maximize the initial visit: If a face-to-face referral is still required, any diagnostic tests, courses for treatment, etc., may be requested and completed before the appointment leading to a more effective visit.
The following specialties are available through eConsult:
HIV Provincial Program
Public Health and Preventative Medicine
Endocrinology and Metabolism
To access the eConsult service or to receive more information, please email Jean Cook, CSF Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is what some of your colleagues using eConsult had to say:
- eConsult allowed me to access advice for my patient without having to go through the referral process.
- In this case I would have made a decision based on my current knowledge, but welcomed the opportunity to double check with a specialist that this was the right course of action.
President's Letter - All physicians invited to participate in eConsult project:
Fact Sheet - NL BASE eConsult for Primary Care Providers
Factsheet - CMPA Assessment of eConsult: