May 10, 2016
Notice to NLMA Members of Vote by Members on Special Resolution
in relation to
Proposed Amendment of the Articles of Continuance
during the Annual General Meeting
scheduled for 2:00 P.M. on Saturday, June 4, 2016
at the Main Auditorium, Health Sciences Centre, St. John’s, NL
Amendments are proposed to the NLMA’s Articles of Continuance, which amendments would modify and modernize the categories of NLMA membership. The proposed amendments were drafted by the NLMA’s legal counsel in consultation with the NLMA’s Secretariat.
Below is a summary of the key proposed amendments:
- Voting members would be comprised of: “practicing members”; “retired members”; and “resident members”.
- “Practicing members” would be those members who hold a licence issued under the Medical Act, 2011, and for greater certainty would include those who hold such a licence who are locums or who are on parental, sick, sabbatical, or other types of temporary leave from the practice of medicine.
- “Retired members” would be those members who were formerly practicing members and who are retired from the practice of medicine.
- “Resident members” would be those members who are enrolled in a medical school post-graduate program.
- Non-voting members would be comprised of “student members” and “non-resident members”.
- “Student members” would be those members who are enrolled in a Newfoundland and Labrador medical school undergraduate program.
- “Non-resident members” would be those members who were formerly practicing members but who then reside outside Newfoundland and Labrador.
Members will have the opportunity to vote on the Special Resolution in person or by proxy at the Annual General Meeting on June 4, 2016. A proxy form is avialable below.
To assist members, a copy of the current Articles of Continuance and the proposed amended Articles of Continuance are also available below:
Current Articles of Continuance Proposed Articles of Continuance